Homelessness in Canada
- 235,000 Canadians experience homelessness in a given year
- 30,000 Canadians experience homelessness in a given night
- 50,000 more Canadians are among the “hidden homeless” on any given night (those staying temporarily with family or friends who are harder to count, though still vulnerable)
- Youth make up 20% of the homeless population in Canada
- Homelessness costs the Canadian economy $7 billion annually (due to costs from emergency services, hospital visits, police interactions, et cetera)
- Homelessness can be eliminated! Medicine Hat, Alberta utilized a Housing First strategy to tackle homelessness, and it worked.
Source: Stephen Gaetz, Jesse Donaldson, Tim Richter, & Tanya Gulliver (2013): The State of Homelessness in Canada 2013. Toronto: Canadian Homelessness Research Network Press.